The VenaFluxTM Platform is the first semi-automated microfluidic platform capable of executing cell rolling, binding/adhesion and migration studies under shear flow mimicking in vivo flow rates.
• Robust and easy to use
• Ideal for use with whole blood for platelet adhesion, aggregation and thrombi formation (thrombosis); biofilm culture ove extended periods of time.
• Easy to study cell adhesion, migration and transmigration - more physiologically relevant than static assays.
• Excellent platform for in vitro studies and running experiments in parallel with animal models.
• Functional cell-ligand and cell-cell interaction studies.
• Morphology analysis of cell adhesion and migration.
• Tracking of flowing, rolling and migrating cells.
• IC50 curves easily produced.
• Preclinical drug development and lead optimization.
The following specifications relate to the key components of the VenaFlux Platform: Mirus Evo Nanopump, VenaFluxAssay Softwarea and Kima pump
Specifications relating to Microscopy Workstation, Temperature Control, Cell Analysis Software and PC Control vary depending on user application. Contact Cellix for further information.
|Mirus Evo Nanopump|
|MutliFlow8||Capable of executing up to 8 assays in parallel in Vena8 biochips resulting in an 8-channel syringe pump|
|Shear Stress Range for cell suspension||0.05 - 10 dyne/cm2; steps of 0.05 dyne/cm2 (100 mL syringe)|
|Shear Stress Range for whole blood*||2.25 - 450 dyne/cm2 (1 mL syringe)|
|Volumetric Flow Rates||100 nL/minute - 20 μL/minute (100 mL syringe)|
|Dead Volume||600 μL|
|Sample Volume Increments||
• Freely adjustable
• Pulsatile flow option available
|Valve Switching Time||30 ms max (at 20oC, 2hz, with air under 10psi pressure)|
|Working Pressure||30 psi - 2 bars maximum|
|Linear Velocity Range**||10 μm/s to 10 cm/s|
|Sample Volume Aspiration Accuracy||±1%|
|Shear Stress Accuracy||±0.5%|
|Sample Volume Aspiration Precision||<1% CV|
|Shear Stress Precision||0.5% CV|
|External Trigger||2 inputs and 2 outputs externall trigger for better operation with external units and softwares|
|Software Control||Integrated VenaFlux Assay software|
• Pump: 84mm (W) x 180mm (D) x 192.5mm (H)
• MultiFlow8: 140mm (W) x 35mm (D) x 140mm (H)
• Pump: ~2kg
• MultiFlow8: <0.5kg
*Considering human whole blood with a viscosity of 4.5 cP
**Given for the flow of distilled water in a microcapillary with dimensions: 400 mm (W) x 100 mm (D) x 20 mm (L)
• Execution of preset protocols, simultaneous control of pumping, scanning and image acquisitions, sample transfer and protocol flow. Intuitive stepwise protocol interface with steps hierarchy and status control.
• Office2007 GUI interface, preset and user-designed protocols.
|Volumetric Flow Rates||Perfusion mode: 15 - 35 mL/hr (*) +/- 4%|
|Shear Stress Range||Perfusion mode: ~2.5 to ~6.5 dyne/cm2(**)|
|Dead Volume||< 300 µL|
|Working Pressure||30 psi - 2 bars maximum|
• Dispense only.
• Two modes: wash and perfusion (controlled only by Kima controller via iPod Touch / iPhone)
• Plug and play with Kima controller and iKima Application (available for iPod Touch / iPhone)
• Featured with standard 100mL bottle holder
190mm x 85mm x 90mm (L x W x H)
< 800g (bottle and tubing not included)
|Conditions of use||
• Temperature: 10˚C to 60˚C
• Humidity: < 98% RH
• Altitude: < 2000m
(*): calibrated test made with a&
Technical overview of the components which comprise the VenaFlux platform; a microfluidic platform for the investigation of cell adhesion, migration and transmigration under shear flow conditions. Components include Cellix's Mirus Nanopump, different microscope workstations (Zeiss, Nikon, Leica, Olympus etc.); motorized stages (Marzhauser, Ludl); digital cameras (Hamamatsu, QImaging, DeltaPix etc.) and cell image analysis software (DucoCell, Image-Pro Plus, MetaMorph etc.).
Investigation of THP-1, PBMC adhesion to VCAM and HUVECs under physiological flow conditions.
Cellix's VenaFlux platform and biochips are used to investigate the role of different stimuli recognized to play an important part in atherosclerosis development (chemokines, cytokines, oxidized lipoproteins) on leukocyte adhesion to endothelial cells or purified adhesion molecules, under physiological flow conditions.
Cell-cell adhesion; culturing a wide range of Primary Endothelial cells and whole blood analysis.
Investigation of platelet adhesion, aggregation and thrombi formation under physiological shear stress conditions using Cellix's VenaFlux platform and Vena8 Fluoro+ biochips (compatible with confocal microscopy).
The Kima Pump is a simple to use, iPod Touch controlled microfluidic pump for life science applications including: aiding cell culture (e.g. endothelial cells) under physiological conditions (shear flow) in biochips and flow/perfusion chambers; biofilm culture; investigation of nanoparticle uptake in cells; electrophysiology experiments and long-term microfluidic toxicology studies. This webinar shows the application of endothelial cell culture in Cellix's Vena8 Endothelial+ biochips; biofilm culture in Cellix's Vena8 Fluoro+ biochips and investigation of nanoparticle uptake in endothelial cells in Cellix's biochips. The Kima pump is controlled by the iKima Application for use with the iPod Touch and iPhone. The Kima pump is placed inside a standard incubator while the iPod Touch or iPhone, as it's controller, sits on the Universal dock outside the incubator. The Kima pump connects easily to Cellix's Vena biochip range and other manufacturer's flow chambers via fully autoclaveable tubing and delivers pulses of fresh media to cells seeded inside the microchannels. The iKima App is available for download from Apple's iTunes Store.